Whether you track the moon's cycles or not, you can always learn more about how to take advantage of both the new moon and full moon to enhance your life. People have been tracking lunar cycles since the beginning of time. It's a way that people learned more about the cycles of time and how to keep track of different seasons. Indigenous tribes have always been linked to the lunar cycles and have even given names to each one of them. For example, in the spring, there is the Strawberry Moon for the full moon when the berries are coming out and the Harvest Moon in the fall time when all of the summers crops are being harvested.
You can keep track of the lunar cycles by looking on a calendar since most calendars will have the symbols for the full moon and new moon. Check your calendar and see if it shows the moon symbols and then you'll know when each full and new moon is. Otherwise, you can also get apps on your phone that tells you when it's a full moon or a new moon and even what astrological sign it's in.
So typically new moons are all about regeneration, renewal, and letting go of things that no longer serve you. It's the part of the lunar cycle where everything is emptied and brought up for review. This is also a great time to set new goals and to think about your intentions as you move through life. You can create a little ceremony at each full and new moon to honor yourself and the cycles in life. It's a great time to sit with yourself or with other like-minded people to process and celebrate life.
If you'd like to do a new moon ceremony on your own, there are plenty of ways to do this, that could include taking a bath with candles and crystals, taking some time for yourself to just enjoy your energy, or an intention setting ritual. New moons are the perfect time to set new intentions. The following are steps that will help guide you.
1. Write out all of the things you wish to let go of in this cycle of your life.
2. Write out what you'd like to bring into your life or intentions you have for the coming month ahead. This can be material items, personal goals in your physical, mental, relationship, or career-oriented goals. Try to be as specific as you can be while you do this.
3. Make a crystal grid using your favorite crystals that relate to your goals and intentions for this new moon.
4. Cut out the intentions and goals you're setting and place them with your crystal grid to amplify the energy of the intentions.
5. Cut out the things you want to let go of and then burn them in a safe and small fire outside.
This is a great ceremony for releasing the old and welcoming the new into your life. It will help you with so many aspects of your life, and it will help you feel closer with yourself in the process. Enjoy and have fun with it.